- 300g frozen blueberries
- 60－75g caster sugar
- 500g chocolate rollette/swiss roll, cut into 8mm rounds
- 1.75L good-quality vanilla ice cream, defrosted in the fridge for 1 hour to soften.
- To make berry compote, place frozen blueberries in a pan over medium-low heat. Add sugar and stir for 3-4 minutes until berries have softened and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, then chill compote in the fridge.
- Grease and line a 20cm springform cake pan. Press the jam roll slices into the base of the pan, ensuring the base is completely covered. Line the sides of the pan with the remaining slices, packing tightly but without overlapping. There will be some overhanging slices of jam roll at the top.
- Place ice cream in a large bowl. Gently fold in one-third of the berry compote, then pour mixture into the cake pan. Trim overhanging jam roll, then press into the ice cream.
- Cover the cake pan with a plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 5 hours until the ice cream is firmly set. When set, release the sides of the pan and turn the charlotte out onto a flat plate. Spoon over the remaining compote, then serve immediately.