You can actually easily buy can sardine from any chinese store.
But since it is also easy to get fresh sardines in any fish market so i always go for the fresh one.
I love the way Sonia cook her canned sardines.
I purposely bought one 425g can sardine to have a go with this special dish.
It is really yummy! My husband loves it so much.
My garden have plenty of cherry tomatoes.
I just get some fresh tomatoes to add in the sardines and
in order to have more sauce i also add in a small can of diced tomato.
So that I can enjoy the dipping of bread with the sauce as recommended by Sonia.
Thanks Sonia for her kind sharing.
- 1 large can sardine (425g), tomato sauce flavour
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of chopped ginger, garlic and onion
- 3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2tbsp cooking oil
- 100ml water
- 1/2tsp mixed mustard seeds
- 1/2tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp salt of taste
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp fish curry powder
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- Remove sardines from can, retain the tomato sauce.
- Pan fried sardines (without oil) in a non-stick pan, till both sides turned brown, set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add in ginger, garlic and onion paste and curry leaves, stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in mustard, coriander and cumin seeds, mix well.
- Add in the canned sardine’s tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and water, add in the seasonings.
- Once sauce boiled, add in the pan fried sardines, cook for 1min.
- Add in cherry tomatoes and onion slices, cook for another 1min.
- Dish out, serve hot with steam rice.