My husband and kids are crazy with Australia MasterChef.
One thing i am happy with it is they learn how to cook from the show.
After watching the last master class since last Friday, 3 of them decided to cook Alvin's signature dish ~ Drunken Chicken for me.
I am happy if i can just lie down on the bed and have a nap before having my dinner.
This is a simple way of cooking drunken chicken.
I am sure everyone can cook this dish.
Thanks Alvin for sharing his recipe.
At least my husband can cook now and he is proud of himself.
He even decided to cook for his family next coming chinese new year.
- 1L shaoxing (Chinese rice wine)
- 500ml mirin
- 1-2L water, or enough to cover chicken
- 80g gula melaka (Malaysian palm sugar)
- 1 whole chicken
- 4-6cm ginger, thickly sliced
- Place the shaoxing, mirin, water and palm sugar in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken and ginger, then cover and simmer gently for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the chicken to cool in the poaching liquid.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and place on a chopping board. Cut off the legs (thigh and drumstick), then cut the legs into 2 pieces through the joint. Slice the breasts off the carcass and cut each one cut into 5 thick slices. Place the pieces of chicken in a shallow bowl, pour over a little broth and serve with jasmine rice.
The leftover chicken, we soak it in the broth and store in fridge overnight.