These pineapple nastar rolls I made has a crumbly texture like shortbread. Filled with a mixture of sweet & sour taste of soft pineapple jam simply melt in mouth. I had actually tried out 3 shapes for the pastry. One made by using a nastar piping tip to pipe out the pastry with a long strip corrugated appearance. Another two just wrap the filling with pastry and shape into cube and round. All looks good to me.
Now get ready, take your seat, pop one in your mouth, and i am sure you just can’t stop and want more…piping out the long corrugated strips before wraping the fillings. Be generous with the fillings! egg wash before bakinghere comes the nastar rollsself made moulds for the taiwanese style pineapple golden cubesi think it will be nice to decorate the golden bricks with some almond flakes. So i did it :)
2 big pineapples, 100g rock sugar, 100g sugar, 4 clove, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 1tbsp of lemon juice (Pls add more sugar if you feel it is too sour)
- Slice and cut pineapples into pieces. Put in the food processor to grate it.
- Strain the grated pineapple till dry.
- Put the grated pineapple in a heavy saucepan and cook until juice has dry up. Add rock sugar, sugar and the spices.
- Stir till the pineapple has thickened and dry. Add in the lemon juice.
- Continue cooking for another few minutes until filling is dry.
- Leave to cool and shape into small balls.
250g unsalted butter (at room temperature), 50g icing sugar, 2 egg yolks, 360g plain flour mixed with 2 tbsp corn flour (sifted), ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven at 160°C. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until light.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Add in salt and beat until fluffy.
- Fold in sifted ingredients (divided into 2-3 times) and mix into a firm dough.
- Leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Put the dough into nastar piping tip, and then press out into a strip of 5cm length. (This part, i just piped out a long strip in order to make my life easier :)
- Place pineapple filing at one end and roll up the pastry, as in a Swiss roll, enough to enclose the jam. Do not overlap the pastry. Cut off the excess pastry.
- Put the rolls on the baking tray. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes and turn the baking tray 180 ° and continue to bake for 2 minutes or until golden brown.