My first attempt was last year June.
Still remember the time and hard works involved.
But when i saw Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) made this last week, I really feel like having a big bite on them.
So I try for the 2nd time.
This time i reminded myself to use the mixer. Not to get my hands tired on kneading the sticky dough.
And it works! So much easier and the outcome still taste as nice as last time.
It still soft even put till the next day.
Seriously, we dont even bother to heat up in the microwave.
But if you can get this from your local hawker then just pay for it.
Save your efford and time, enjoy your ready bought ham chim peng with your love one with a hot kopi-o.
But if you insist of making your own then just browse this 2 website before you start.It helps.
Recipe from My Kitchen Snippets and Nasi Lemak Lover
Starter Dough: 90g all purpose flour, 90ml water, 2 tsp vineger (Mix all ingredients together. Cover and leave it in room temparature for 2 days)
- 360g bread flour, 130g sugar, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1/2 tsp alkaline water, 1/2 tsp instant yeast, 220ml water
- 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1tsp oil (mix well)
- some red bean fillings
- Some sesame seeds
- Mix all ingredients A with the starter in a big mixer and mix in low speed for 3 mins. Covered the dough with plastic wrap and let rest of 20 minutes.
- Continue mixing after 20 minutes until the dough is elastic and not stick to the bowl and hands (About 14mins on speed 3).
- Rub some oil on the surface of dough, cover well and leave to proof for 2 hours.
- When the dough is ready, roll it out and spread/brush 5 spice powder on the dough. Roll it up.
- Sprinkle the work surface generously with flour. Cut the roll dough into small pieces (around 1-1.5cm thick).
- Flatten dough and put a tsp of red bean paste in the center and wrap the dough up to seal. Let it aside. Repeat the same to the rest of the dough.
- Heat up oil for frying. Flatten the dough, wet the center of the dough with a little water, sprinkle with some sesame seeds and press it firmly. Rest 15 mins.
- Lower 2-3 pieces into the hot oil and as soon as the dough rises up to the top, flips it over. Try and flip as often as possible, this will enhance the puffiness. Fry until golden brown.