My moussaka is Greek-style, topped with rich and creamy béchamel sauce. Since it was a last minute decision I have no choice but to replace the keflagraviera cheese with parmesan cheese in this recipe. But still the flavor and texture was acceptable. This is an an easy dish to prepare but the process of preparation can be quite time consuming. Yes, I must admit that it was absolutely delicious and unbelievably easy to make. The end result is worth the efford.
Recipe from MasterChef: (Chef: Mary Calombaris)
2-3 tablespoons salt
¼ cup olive oil
300g lamb mince
100g pork mince
100g veal mince
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon lemon thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
2 cinnamon quills
250g crushed tomatoes
400g tomato passata
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 ½ cups water
Olive oil, for frying
4 large potatoes, sliced 5mm thickBechamel100g butter
100g plain flour
600ml full cream milk, warmed
100g keflagraviera cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
Extra keflagraviera cheese, grated
2. Lay eggplant over a shallow tray or dish and sprinkle liberally with salt. Cover with muslin or a clean chux and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan or saucepan, add lamb, pork and veal mince and cook until browned and meat breaks up. Add onion and sauté until softened. Add garlic, oregano, lemon thyme, rosemary and cinnamon quills and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato passata, tomato paste and water, bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for ½ hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour oil into a frying pan approximately 1cm deep, place over a high heat and shallow fry potatoes for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towel.
6. Pat dry eggplant and pan fry on each side until golden yet still firm. Drain on paper towel.
7. For béchamel, melt butter in a heavy based saucepan. Add flour, stir over a low heat for 2 minutes.
8. Slowly add warm milk, stirring continuously until thick. Add extra milk if sauce is to thick.
9. Whisk in keflagraviera cheese and an egg yolk, season to taste.
10. To assemble, oil casserole dish and layer as follows. Meat sauce, potato, sauce, potato, sauce, eggplant, sauce, potato, eggplant and remaining sauce. Cover with béchamel and grate extra cheese over.
11. Bake for 45 minutes until browned and béchamel has set. Serve.