Continue reading ...
- 12 ice cream cones
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar (i used 85g)
- 1 vanilla pod, cut in half and seeds reserved
- 2 eggs
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp milk
- 120g butter, 220g icing sugar, 1tsp finely grated lemon rind, 2tsp milk
- multi-coloured sugar strands
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Stand the cornets in a 12-hole muffin tin − one in each muffin hole.
- Whisk the butter, sugar and vanilla seeds together using an electric hand whisk or beat with a wooden spoon until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in the eggs until just combined. Add the flour and milk and whisk again until combined and fluffy.
- Divide between the cornets and bake in the oven for 20−25 minutes until golden and risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to go cold.
- Cream butter and icing sugar and rind in a bowl with electric mixer until pale and fluffy; beat in juice.
- Put the buttercream into a piping bag with a large star nozzle. Pipe a large swirl, on to the top of each cupcake.
- Scatter over the sugar strands.