Recipe refers to :Yummly-My Recipes (Orange Hot Cross Bun)
- 100g milk (warm, 100° to 110°)
- 2 tsps active dry yeast
- 1 small egg
- 50g orange juice
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups flour
- 2tbsp butter
- oranges zest from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- Combined milk and yeast and stand for 5 mins.
- Add in egg, sugar, flour and salt in a stand mixer and beat on medium speed.
- Gradually add in orange juice and continue mixing until a soft dough is formed.
- Add in butter and mix the dough until the dough is soft, smooth and stretchy.
- Add in orange zest, peel and currants. Pick up dough and mix with your hands to distribute the fruits.
- Return dough to the bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough. Divide into 12 portions.
- Shape into 12 smooth round buns and arrange into baking pan.
- Cover loosely and let rise in a warm place until doubled and puffy, about 40 mins.
- Egg wash the buns.
- Mixed 2 tbsp flour with some water to make the paste for the cross – add the water 1 tbsp at a time, so you add just enough for a thick paste. Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake in preheated 170C for 15-18 mins or until golden brown.
- Gently heat 2tbsp orange juice with some icing sugar till thick. While the syrup is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (April 2014 Event: Orange) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Ann (Anncoo Journal).